Sunday, January 29, 2012

Reading Assignment 1/23/2012

The Visual Components & Contrast and Affinity:


This reading was very informative.  I like how the author broke down the basic visual components of a picture and their relationship with moods, emotions, ideas, and visual structure.  I was already aware of these components, but the reading helped further my understanding of their roles in both film and photography.  I also found the section on visual stereotypes and progression fascinating.  These are techniques that I have found easy to overlook since pictures and films are such a major part of my life.  I would be interested in talking more about these concepts in class.  One question I have after reading this is:  How can we structure contrast and affinity to these visual components to convey a sense of balance?  I want to develop a greater understanding of these terms so I can apply them successfully to my work.


The Process of Sight:


I found this reading to be extremely conceptual and philosophical.  Cézanne's ideas on sight and interpretation of reality were years ahead of his time.  He was truly a renaissance man.  "Our impressions require interpretation; to look is to create what you see.  Reality is not out there waiting to be witnessed; reality is made by the mind.  I also found it fascinating how the reading ties Cézanne's discovery of postimpressionism with the invention of the photograph.  In many ways I think photography forced many artists to reevaluate the intent of their work and their original visions.  I think this is extremely relevant because we live in a society where technology is so dominant.  The issues of man vs. machine are not new, and this article is a clear indicator of that.  I think one reason Cézanne's work is so influential is that it provided a cross roads betweens the worlds of art, science, psychology, and philosophy.  I would love to learn more on Cézanne's concept of nonfinito.  "He knew that his paintings were only literally blank.  Their incompleteness was really a metaphor for the process of sight."  I think there is a never ending argument about the benefits of painting vs photography and I would love to discuss more about this in class.  

No comments:

Post a Comment